About Our Biographies

Tell about what the project is

Friday, June 14, 2013

Susan B. Anthony by Jocelyn


Susan B. Anthony

By Jocelyn


          I was born on February 15, 1820 in Adams, Massachusetts. My father Daniel ran a cotton mill. My mother Lucy raised eight children. My father was a Quaker. Quakers are people that treat men and women as equals. Outside the Quaker religion, women had none of these rights. Having been raised by my Quaker father, I believed that all people should be treated equally, but most people didn’t agree with me.

          I began to read and write at the age of three. I wanted to learn math, but the school master would not teach math to girls. So…… I taught myself.

          When I got older I was asked to be part of “The Women’s Rights Club”. Another leader with me was Elizabeth Cady Stanton. Elizabeth and I wrote speeches together, we traveled many places and told our speeches sometimes together.

          One day when my sister, Guelma, and I read on the newspaper that it was time to register to vote. They decided to register even though women are not allowed to vote. They used the Fourteenth and Fifteenth amendments to convince the election inspectors to let women register to vote.

“All persons born or naturalized in the United States are citizens… The right of the United States shall not be denied or abridged, on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude (slavery).”

The other women and I that voted got sent to trial for breaking the law.

I fought all my life for equal rights for women, even though I didn’t get to vote legally. Millions and millions of women got that right today.

I died on March 6, 1906, women got that right to vote 14 years later. Now everyone can vote thanks to Susan Brownell Anthony.        

No comments:

Post a Comment