About Our Biographies

Tell about what the project is

Friday, June 14, 2013

Betsy Ross By.Emma


Betsy Ross
By Emma

 


Hi, my name is Elizabeth Griscom, but you can call me Betsy. I was born on January 1, 1752 and I had 16 brothers and sisters.

I learned to sew in school and my dad got me a job at a upholstery shop. That is another name for a sewing shop. That is where I met my husband. His name was John Ross and we got married in 1773.

After we got married, we opened our own sewing shop. My husband died in 1776 but I still kept working at the sewing shop.

In 1776 we became a country. I was asked to sew the first American flag. It had 13 stars and stripes on it .The reason for the number of stripes is because that is how many colonies we had then.

I got married again and had two children. I died in 1836 at the age of 84. Some people say that I did not make the American flag. But I’ll never tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment