About Our Biographies

Tell about what the project is

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Betsy Ross by Lainey


Betsy Ross Speech

By Lainey


 


                                         

Hello! I’m Betsy Ross! (curtsy). I was born the eighth out of seventeen children on January 1st, 1752 in Pennsylvania. I am a Quaker. I went to the Friends school at age 6 and quit at the age of 12.

 

I spent lots of time sewing. I liked sewing complicated designs. When I was a teenager I begged my parents to let me work somewhere else. They finally let me work an upholstery shop. There, I met a man named John Ross. We fell in love and married. Then we opened an upholstery shop. John then joined the army. During the Revolutionary War, John was guarding some equipment, and it blew up. Besides my care, John died.  I was a widow.

 

After the Revolutionary War, General George Washington wanted a flag, so he asked me to sew it. I gave him a few tips on it, and he liked it better. It had 13 stars and 13 stripes. I had made the first American flag.

 

 Then, I married John Claypole. We had 5 kids. Their names were Clarissa, Susannah, Rachel, Jane, and Harriet, who died as a baby. I finally retired at the age 75. One of my children read the bible to me.

 

I died in 1836.They buried me on arch street by the shop I once owned.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment