About Our Biographies

Tell about what the project is

Friday, June 14, 2013

Cesar Chavez By James


Cesar Chavez

By James

 

         




Hi, my name is Cesar Chavez. I was born on March 31, 1927 in Arizona. When I was born my parents owned a farm and a grocery store. I helped with the farm work and went to school. When the Great Depression came we lost the farm and store. We moved to California working on any farm that needed helpers. I was able to graduate eighth grade but my dad got hurt in a car crash. I had to work full time to help my family.

 In 1994 I joined the Navy. I married Helen Fabela in 1948. I worked on farms again in the fields. Field workers were not treated well. In 1952 I joined the Community Service Organization. I created a union called The United Farm Workers Association. To help grape pickers, I led the union’s first strike. When the grape pickers went on strike, the farmers got really angry so I held a non-violent protest or boycott asking people to not buy or sell grapes. To get more attention I led a march. The strike still continued so I went on a 25 day fast. When the strike ended the grape pickers went back to work under better working conditions. I worked for the farm union the rest of my life. I died April 22, 1993. In 1994 I was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, that honors people who help others.



No comments:

Post a Comment