About Our Biographies

Tell about what the project is

Friday, June 14, 2013

Jackie Robinson by Joseph


Jackie Robinson

By Joseph

 

          I am Jackie Robinson. I was born on January 31, 1919 in Cairo Georgia. My mother’s name was Mallie Robinson. I played four sports. I played baseball, basketball, football, and I ran track.

          I went to the University of California Los Angeles but I had to quit school to earn money for my mother. I joined a Negro League team called the Kansas City Monarchs. I played so well I got to go to one of the top Major League teams The Brooklyn Dodgers. I was the first African American in the white only Major Leagues, but it was very hard playing because most of all the fans yelled at me and did not like that I was African American and players threw baseballs at me while fielders scraped me with their cleats but I just played my best.

          I won the Rookie of The Year Award, the MVP award and my team won The 1955 World Series. I was the first African American elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame. I retired in 1957 when I was 39 years old. I died on October 24, 1972.
          I was known for my number 42. It was retired for every Major League team. But on one special day all of the players on the field wear the number 42 in honor of me, Jackie Robinson.


No comments:

Post a Comment