About Our Biographies

Tell about what the project is

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. By Xavier


Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

By Xavier

 

Hello, young citizens! My name is Martin Luther King, Jr. I was born on January 15, 1929 in Atlanta, Georgia.  I spent many wonderful childhood years there. I learned to read before I was old enough to start school. I finished high school in 1944 at the age of 15. I was able to finish two years early. I became a minister in 1948 and I went to Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia.

 

I married Coretta Scott in 1953. I met Coretta Scott at Boston University.

 

I’m famous because I led a march on August 28, 1963. I won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964 and I’m famous because I did speeches and one of them is the “I have a dream” speech. I tried to change white and black people from being separated.

 

I died in 1968 because I had to live in a hotel because somebody threw a bomb in my house and my followers wanted to fight me because they were angry at me and I told them to go home peacefully.

 

The third Monday in January was declared an annual federal holiday in my honor by the United States Congress in 1983.

 

Some interesting facts are that I liked to play basketball, football, baseball and ride my bike. I often sang in my father’s church.  Would you like to hear part of my famous speech?

 


“I have a dream that white boys and white girls will be able to join hands with black boys and black girls and that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character’’




No comments:

Post a Comment