About Our Biographies

Tell about what the project is

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Betsy Ross by Olivia


Betsy Ross Speech

By Olivia

 


Hello! I’m Betsy Ross (curtsy). I was born on January 1, 1752 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I was born the eighth child out of 17. I was born 252 years ago. My parents are Samuel and Rebecca. I am a Quaker and I believe in a simple life. I don’t believe in war. My real name is Elizabeth Griscom. At six years old, I started school. At twelve years old I stopped school because at that time I was expected to help around the house. My parents taught me to trade (which means have a job or craft).

 

When I was older I opened a shop with John Ross our friendship grew and we got married in 1773. One day he went out to war in 1776 he died. He died of guarding a safe house. Soon after his death General George Washington came and asked me to sew the first American flag with 13 five pointed stars and 13 stripes. In 1777 the flag became official. In that same year I married Joseph Ashburn. He was taken prisoner and died. In the mean time my first son Zillah had died and my second child Elizabeth was born. John Claypoole told me that Joseph had died. Joseph and my love grew and I married to him in 1783. I had 5 children with him named Clarissa, Susannah, Rachel, Jane and Harriet, who died as a baby. John died in 1817.When I grew old I could not read the bible anymore so my children and my grandchildren would read it to me. I died in 1836, 19 years after John Claypoole died. I died at the age of 84.   




No comments:

Post a Comment