About Our Biographies

Tell about what the project is

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Betsy Ross by Mila


Betsy Ross Speech

By Mila

 

 

Hi! My name is Betsy Ross (waves flag) I was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on January 1, 1752. I was a New Year’s birthday girl! I am from a Quaker family. I grew up in a place where people live in a peaceful life. Ah I went to school when I was 6. There I learned to sew.

 

I helped to sew Quaker girls bonnets which they wore ever day. When I finished school my dad wanted me to learn how to trade (holds up a piece of  cloth) trading is a job or a craft that is being done. I became so interested in trading that I opened up my own sewing shop (cut ribbon) .

 

I opened it up with my 1 husband John Ross. Not long after John died in 1773 by guarding bombs. In 1776 General George (Washington) came to my sewing shop and asked me to sew the first nations flag. I was first surprised that I have been asked to sew the first nations flag but that diden’t  stop me from saying yes so I agreed.

Not long after that my flag was official the first flag of the United States. I was proud for myself. Soon I got married to Joseph not long after we got married he got sick and died. Not long after he had died I had 5 children. I needed more help around the house. So I got married to John Claypool he went in war and died. So did my 9 month Harriet I tried as hard as I could to go through all these tough times. Then more bad things started happening two of my other daughters died I only had 2 kids left. Then I turned 84 and died peacefully.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment